Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Painting critique

I had a discussion with someone, and the topic of painting miniatures came up. I was asked if I was any good. I told her that I supposed I was decent, there are much better painters out there.
But I got to really thinking about it, and Now I'm asking anyone who reads this: What's your opinion on my painting? Is there anything I should do Differently? Anything I should add or remove?
Leave your answers below and I'll get to them when I can

1 comment:

  1. Critiquing other people's painting is difficult, because it's so subjective and individual. It's not even as if there's a scale, with 'good' and 'bad' people, there are so many different styles that chasing someone else's will invariably ruin your own unique style.

    That said, there's nothing wrong with taking advice from people and after all, everybody learns from somebody. Advice I've taken in the past usually leads to epiphany moments where I suddenly learn a new technique I'd never tried before. Inks were a good example, and might be worth trying if you've not used them. Try painting the flat colours on, then giving the whole model a generous wash, then re-highlight the original colours; should give a lot more depth to the models.

    You hit the nail on the head when answering that question. Everyone is better than somebody, and somebody is better than everyone I suppose.

    ReplyDelete